Instagram’s verification allows brands to own their account legitimately. This guide shares the step-by-step process on how to get verified on Instagram.
Instagram is currently ranked the second largest social media network with over 1.3 billion users. The platform has expanded opportunities for content creators, business owners, and marketers to earn money and promote their products and services.
Getting verified on Instagram opens up even more opportunities for you to be seen and heard by potential customers or fans. The badges help users identify the real accounts from the fake ones and also help build trust and authority.
Only select users can get the blue checkmark on Instagram. If you want to join their ranks, this complete guide will show you how to get verified on the app.
Instagram Verification Requirements
Instagram is owned by Facebook but has separate procedures to verify accounts. Here are the general requirements to get your account verified on Instagram:
- The account is authentic: it represents a real person, a registered business, or a company.
- The account is unique: Instagram verifies only one account per person or business. Avoid naming your account with general interests.
- The account is complete: it has a bio, profile picture, and at least one post.
- The account is public: private accounts do not qualify for verification.
- The account is noteworthy: Instagram monitors accounts featured in multiple news sources and flags paid or promotional content as sources. Your account should reflect a popular and highly searched person, brand, or company to get verified.
Instagram sums up its policy with this statement: “Currently, only Instagram accounts that have a high likelihood of being impersonated have verified badges.”
Bonus Tip: Linking your Instagram profile to your official Facebook page while you wait to get verified can let your audiences know your account is authentic.
How To Get Verified On Instagram
Anyone can apply for verification on Instagram. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting verified on the app:
- Log into your Instagram account from the mobile app. If you own multiple accounts, switch to the account you want to be verified.
- Tap the Menu button on the top right corner of your profile and go to Settings.
- Tap Account and Request Verification to access the form.
- Fill out the Request Verification form:
- Confirm Authenticity: Upload an official, government-issued ID with your complete legal name. Individual IDs can be your passport, national ID card, or driver’s license. For businesses, upload any utility bill with your company name in the account details, articles of incorporation, and tax returns. Make sure that your name matches all your submitted documents.
- Confirm Notability: Choose your business category: News/media, Sports, Music, Fashion, Entertainment, Digital creator / Blogger/ Influencer, Gamer, Global business/brand/organization, or Other. You will be asked to select one country/region. This is optional, but you can add up to five links to related articles and other social media accounts to increase your chances of approval.
- Click Send once you have completed your application. Instagram will review your request and notify you of the status a few days after you submit your application.
10 Easy Ways To Get Verified On Instagram
Instagram has criteria that you must meet to get verified on the app. Here are some best practices that can improve your chances of getting that blue checkmark:
Keep It Real
Go through the application process truthfully to be verified. Use your real name, submit complete and authentic government documents, and choose the right category for your business. Avoid any actions that can cause your account to get deactivated or deleted.
Instagram will never ask for money in exchange for the verification badge. Do not accept any offers from third-party apps or random accounts in your DMs to buy or refund badges. The only way to verify badge ownership is to fill out the official form and submit all requirements.
Make Sure Your Profile Is Up To Date
Instagram’s most basic requirements to get verified are a bio, a profile picture, and at least one post. Optimize your Instagram bio to impress the verification team and score new followers and lead conversions.
To earn the blue Instagram badge, set your account to public. Your account must be highly searched or featured on multiple news sources to be considered a well-known brand. Instagram will not review promotional or paid content associates for an account.
Lastly, follow Instagram’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines to avoid getting banned or having your application denied.
Post At Prime Time
As you start on Instagram, build your followers on other platforms. Until you gain enough traction for Instagram, set optimal posting times for each of your social media accounts. Once you have earned your desired clout for Instagram, schedule your posts at the optimal posting times for Instagram.
Most importantly, aim to post when your followers or general users are most active online to increase engagement. Use third-party scheduling tools like Publer to manage posting schedules easier. You may be competing with hundreds of posts during those times, but proving your influence can amplify your presence and earn more followers.
Boost Engagement and REAL followers
Apply for an Instagram badge when you have gained a significant online presence and a good engagement rate from your posts. Create post variations on Instagram like carousels, images, videos, reels, and even stories with your own filters. Be on the lookout for popular hashtags for your posts to boost reach.
Just because a trend appeals to the public does not mean it will guarantee engagement. Define your niche, so your content is guided in one direction and recognized for your actual expertise.
Finally, target the audience that can relate to your niche. Create posts that will reach out to users who genuinely believe and support your brand.
Try A Publicist Or Agency
If you have the budget, you can hire a reputable digital agency or publicist to help you with verification requirements. They have access to Facebook’s Media Partner Support tools, which can help you claim usernames, merge accounts, and verify your accounts through their industry-only portal. An industry professional can help establish your credibility and guide you through the verification process.
Leverage Popular Hashtags
Use relevant and popular hashtags to boost your reach on Instagram. According to Shortstack’s list, Instagram’s ten most popular hashtags are: #love, #instagood, #photooftheday, #tbt, #beautiful, #cute, #me, #happy, #fashion, and #followme.
Creating a unique hashtag is a great way to build your brand and connect with your followers. However, make sure that the hashtag is relevant to your niche to avoid losing followers over time. You can also encourage your followers to use the hashtag regularly to help spread the word about your brand.
Be present across other social media platforms to get verified on Instagram. Promote your brand on all social media platforms to gain more followers. You can optimize your website and cross-post your content on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. LinkedIn is also a great networking platform to help boost your credibility.
Your online presence is an extension of your overall brand personality. You need to have a variety of active online platforms to become a full-fledged influencer.
Stay On Top Of Newsworthy Trends
To become verified on Instagram, you must stay relevant. This can be done by maximizing your public relations efforts and releasing statements on relevant trends to gain more press coverage. You can send out press releases about initiatives you have done in your local area or partner with local news organizations to score free publicity.
Remember that paid or promotional content will not get you verified on the app. Aim for organic content and news reports while press releases and advertorials can just be an additional push for media presence.
Don’t Buy Followers
Instagram can detect suspicious activities when you have significant followers with little to no engagement. Don’t buy followers for the sake of the numbers. It also breaks the Community Guidelines which can risk your account being shut down.
In most cases, the people you buy as followers will never see your posts nor meaningfully engage with you. Nothing beats a genuine engagement from a real person or your loyal followers and not one from a bot or fake accounts.
If At First, You Don’t Succeed…
Try again. If you don’t get lucky the first time, that’s okay! Just refocus your goals and put in twice as much effort. While waiting 30 days to reapply for verification, work on your Instagram strategy, build a strong community, and amplify your online presence.
How To Lose Instagram Verification
Earning your badge calls for a celebration, but be careful. Instagram can still remove your verification badge when you:
- Promote, sell, or transfer your verified badge
- Use your profile credentials (name, bio, profile picture) to promote other services
- Use a third-party tool to verify your account
If you want to keep your verified account, make sure to follow the community guidelines. If you don’t, Instagram may disable your account.
It is not easy to be Instagram verified, but with the proper guidelines, you can earn that blue checkmark on your profile in no time. The verified badge is more than a status symbol. It has its benefits like:
- Boosting your follower count
- Increasing your trustworthiness for other brands
- Establishing your business with authenticity and credibility
- Amplifying your presence on the app