The demand for social media managers has sky-rocketed as content continues to digitalize. 93% of marketers use social media to promote their products and services, making the role of a social media manager an integral part of any modern business.
But social media management is a broad perspective and requires the ideal candidate to have various skills and qualities. If you want to hire someone to take your social media to new heights, this article discusses the social media manager job description to help you create an effective job post.
General Responsibilities of a Social Media Manager
A social media manager is responsible for your entire social network. Here are the various responsibilities a social media manager is required to fulfill.
Develop and Implement the Social Media Strategy
Social Media Managers are responsible for developing and implementing an organization’s overall social media advertising strategy for paid and organic approaches. They must identify the right channels, platforms, and networks to help an organization reach its target audience and build relationships with them.
Developing and implementing the social media strategy is a major task as it significantly influences the effectiveness and growth of your business. This includes:
- Analyzing and understanding the target market, including current trends in terms of language and interests.
- Identifying the right channels to use based on the research done. This includes both organic and paid media.
- Setting up accounts on all relevant social media networks.
- Creating a content calendar or strategy for releasing engaging content regularly.
- Developing campaigns to help promote the brand, attract new followers, and engage with existing ones.
Monitor Social Media Platforms
A Social Media Manager’s responsibility to monitor social media platforms can be divided into two main areas. First, they are responsible for monitoring user engagement and gathering feedback from their audience. This includes tracking followers, likes, shares, comments, retweets, and other interactions that indicate how users feel about the content being shared by the company on social media.
Social media managers must also monitor the conversations happening on social media regarding their brand to be aware of potential issues and take steps to address them promptly.
Analyze Competitors’ Strategies
Analyzing competitors’ strategies is an important part of the job. It involves identifying competitors’ tactics, researching what’s and what’s not working for them, and understanding how those strategies could help create more effective marketing campaigns. It requires a thorough knowledge of the industry landscape and an eye for detail.
They should regularly monitor competitors’ social presence, website content, campaigns, promotions, etc.
Implement Content Strategies
A Social Media Manager creates and implements content strategies across an organization’s social media platforms. This role involves managing the content calendar and determining the appropriate mediums for certain messages. This role also involves coordinating with content writers and designers to set clear output expectations and discuss any details and requirements.
Once the content is ready, social media managers should optimize content performance and effectively engage audiences. A good social media manager should be able to leverage AI for social media to fast-track content development and implementation.
Publer has changed the social media management space by introducing Publer AI assist–an all-around tool your social media manager can use to generate high-quality content and images tailored to various social media platforms. They can also promptly respond to comments with AI for quicker feedback that improves customer satisfaction.
Identify Trends in Customer Interactions
The digital space creates one big platform for customers to connect, share, and influence, which impacts and constantly changes how they interact with organizations. A social media manager must stay ahead of trends and customer interactions to make informed decisions.
This means understanding industry trends related to your business sector, as well as customers’ preferences and behavior. You should look for patterns among customer complaints, feedback, reviews, shares, and more. This information can reveal what works and what doesn’t, allowing you to adjust your strategies accordingly.
Strategies to Increase Brand Awareness
Using different strategies to increase brand awareness is another responsibility your social media manager takes. This includes creating and managing campaigns, developing content ideas, sharing newsworthy stories and videos, running contests and giveaways, responding to customer inquiries, monitoring conversations about the brand on social media platforms, interacting with online influencers, and more.
These tactics aim to create a positive presence for your brand online and increase the number of followers and customers who interact with it.
Measure Results Using Analytics
Lastly, a social media manager is responsible for measuring the results of their work using analytics. Analytics are incredibly useful in understanding your posts and campaigns’ effectiveness. The key metrics that define your campaigns and should be measured are:
Analytics also provides insights into your audience and their behavior. They also compare performance across different platforms, giving you a complete picture of how your efforts are faring. By monitoring and analyzing data, a social media manager can better understand the trends and tactics, allowing them to refine strategies and make more informed decisions.
Responsibilities of a Social Media Manager for Different Sectors
A social media manager manages a company’s presence on various social media platforms. Their responsibilities differ depending on the type of business they are working with – B2C or B2B.
For B2C businesses, such as e-commerce, retail, and hospitality, a social media manager is responsible for engagingly promoting the company’s products or services. This could include creating content that resonates with their target audience and managing campaigns across platforms popular for a broader audience, such as Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, and Instagram Ads to drive traffic and sales.
Another key responsibility would be monitoring customer reviews and engaging in online conversations across social media. This includes promptly responding to customer queries, addressing issues, and managing the brand’s reputation. B2C social media managers are also responsible for contacting and collaborating with influencers and running competitions and giveaways.
A B2B social media manager’s responsibility is to position their business, such as SaaS provider, as a thought leader in the industry. This includes creating content that educates and informs their target audience on topics related to their sector, such as new technologies, strategies, or emerging trends. These content pieces could be in the form of written blog posts, videos, or podcasts.
Social media managers are also responsible for connecting with other industry leaders and building relationships. This often involves participating in conversations on LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, and other relevant platforms. It also includes amplifying their brand message through paid ads to reach key decision makers in the industry.
Regardless of the type of business a social media manager is working with, their main priority should be creating content that resonates with their target audience, building relationships, and engaging in conversations to increase reach and visibility. This will help the company establish itself as an authority within its respective industry.
Social Media Manager Job Post Example
Here is a social media manager job post example that includes responsibilities and requirements to know what exactly you should mention when looking for the right candidate.
We are looking for an experienced and creative Social Media Manager to join our team! As the Social Media Manager, you will develop and execute a comprehensive social media strategy for our organization.
You will be expected to:
- Design, plan, create, curate, and publish content across multiple digital platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Snapchat.
- Driving engagement through campaigns and stories.
- Analyzing and reporting on engagement metrics.
- Monitoring conversations, trends, and industry news for opportunities to engage with users.
- Developing strategies for growing our social media presence, followers, website traffic, and other key metrics.
- Identifying influencers in the digital space who are aligned with our brand values and creating strategic partnerships with them.
- Working alongside the Digital Marketing Manager to develop best practices, metrics, and guidelines.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in social media management or similar roles.
- Proficiency in graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong understanding of digital marketing concepts like SEO, SEM, and PPC.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented mindset.
- Strong creative skills and experience in story/campaign creation & execution.
- Knowledge of analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Hootsuite Insights.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field is preferred but not required.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse, inclusive work environment. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
We would love to hear from you if you feel like the perfect fit for this role. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Thank you.
Whether you want to include the job’s pay scale is your choice. If you want to mention the wage, you should clearly understand how much do social media managers make to attract high-quality candidates.
Social media managers are responsible for managing a company’s presence on various social media platforms. Their responsibilities differ depending on the type of business they are working with, but the key aim is to create an effective social media presence resulting in the overall growth of the business.
To recap, social media managers are responsible for the following:
- Developing and implementing social media strategy that returns a desirable result, whether it is increased engagement, sales, or brand awareness.
- Monitor social media platforms to identify trends and opportunities.
- Implement content strategies that are catered to their target audiences.
- Managing campaigns across different platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram Ads.
- Creating content that resonates with their target audience, building relationships, and engaging in conversations online.
- Increase brand awareness using different strategies such as influencer marketing, competitions, polls, giveaways, etc.
- Measuring and analyzing key metrics such as reach, impressions, clicks, likes, shares, and engagement.
Publer AI assist is an invaluable tool for your business that helps create the most effective and engaging content for your social media channels. Manage your social media and reply to comments with ease. Check it out today.