Telegram is a free, popular, and intuitive messaging app that’s available for use to everyone. Its main focus is privacy and efficient communication between people for personal use or business-wise, whether you’re a small business or a large enterprise.
According to cybercrew.uk, the app had 500 million active monthly users in Jan 2021. But, you might have heard of Telegram on the news during the Facebook and WhatsApp outage on October 4th, 2021.
‘The daily growth rate of Telegram exceeded the norm by an order of magnitude, and we welcomed over 70 million refugees from other platforms in one day. I am proud of how our team handled the unprecedented growth because Telegram continued to work flawlessly for the vast majority of our users.’ – claimed Pavel Durov on his Telegram Channel.
Why choose Telegram over other messaging tools for your business
Simply put, the organic reach on Telegram beats all other networks. There’s no algorithm to decide whether your post will show up in the user’s feed or not. If someone uses Telegram and joins your group or channel, they will see what you broadcast, guaranteed.
We recently created a Telegram channel for Publer and in just a few days, we got more than 40 subscribers and our broadcasts have already been seen by hundreds of people!
How is the reach higher than the number of subscribers? That’s because the content of public channels can be seen on the Web without a Telegram account and is indexed by search engines.
Telegram is one of the fastest, easiest to use, and safest applications. They explain that the two most crucial components of Internet privacy should be protecting private conversations and personal data from third parties. We’re mentioning privacy quite often – that’s because Telegram improves the conversation by displaying their username only and does not require the phone number to be public to others.
Telegram Groups allow up to 200K users, while WhatsApp allows only 256 – making it quite hard for huge brands to update their audience in real-time through a messaging app.
Did you know that Telegram provides polls and live streams with others? Yeah, we think it’s clear which messaging tool to use for your business.
What are Telegram Groups & Channels
Telegram Groups and Channels are similar but not identical. While they are both strategic marketing methods for your business and share real-time updates, they still have a few differences.
- Unlimited subscribers
- Only the Admin can send messages
- If public, everyone with a link can read messages without the need of subscribing
- Messages on a Channel have a unique link that allows them to be shared with others
- Nobody can see who has subscribed to a Channel
- Up to 200’000 members
- Every member can send messages that can get pinned by the Admin
- Everyone can see other members who have joined the Group
Note: If you want to check whether you have joined a Group or a Channel, all you need to do is see if others appear online (available on Groups), or simply check for the keyword: subscribers (available on Channels).
How to create a new Telegram Channel and grow your business
Now that you know every important information about both Groups and Channels, this is how you can create your own Telegram Group or Channel for your business.
- Open the app on your mobile (iOS & Android)
- Click on the pencil icon at the top right corner
- Choose between ‘New Group’ and ‘New Channel’
- Open the app on your desktop
- Click the hamburger icon at the top left corner
- Choose between ‘New Group’ and ‘New Channel’
Personalize your channel/group:
- Add a name & a profile photo. On Channels, you can also add a description.
- Public Channels: Create a customized URL
- Private Channels: Telegram will create a unique link for you
Schedule new messages and broadcasts with Publer
It was about time! And yes, this is great news. Due to the large number of people who have suggested Telegram messaging for business as an option from Publer, we’re now officially supporting both Channels and Groups!
Publer is currently supporting text, links, and visual content scheduling! Make use of all cross-promoting options, media library organizer, and automation of new releases within one dashboard.
Adding Telegram Channels and Groups to Publer is easy. All you need to do is add ‘@publr_bot’ as an Admin on your Channel/Group, for Publer to be able to automate new messages in the future.
Note: Telegram Bots are 3rd party apps that allow you to customize a specific service: text formatting, social services, integrated payments, etc.
Other useful stats that can help you leverage Telegram for your business:
- Users send an average of 150 messages daily.
- Telegram is expected to have 1 billion users by 2022.
- Telegram is the 7th most popular non-gaming app in Google Play, ranked by the number of worldwide downloads.
- The app’s user base is made up of 41.4% females and 58.6% males.
- 30.6% of Telegram users are between the ages of 25 and 34.