Tumblr—the black sheep of social media. Sure, not everybody is on there. But the people on the platform are some of the most engaging you’ll ever see online. There’s reason number one to consider using Tumblr for business.
That’s probably one of the reasons why Tumblr stayed on for so long. It’s one of the old guards of early social media. And, a place where you can make a killing marketing for your business.
Can Tumblr be the platform for your brand’s next social media campaign? Let’s find out!
In the days of old, passionate netizens would go on Tumblr to speak the language of their souls. For a long while, this was in the form of fanfiction for just about anything.
But at its core, it was a place where short blogs called “tumblelogs” thrived. Unlike most modern social media platforms, Tumblr offered customization.
Users were free to show off their own personal aesthetic. This made the pages on the platform seem much more organic and authentic—making Tumblr the perfect home for niche culture.
Your brand could be a part of this culture and reach a more engaging demographic. You can even use cross-posting to drive traffic from other social media platforms to Tumblr and vice versa.
So, how can you set up a Business Account on Tumbler? Here’s a step-by-step guide.
You can make a Tumblr business account in just five easy steps:
1. Go to Tumblr and sign up. It’ll give you the option to sign up via Google, Apple, or Email. After signing up, Tumblr will ask you to enter your blog name and how old you are.
2. Choose five areas of interest. In this case, choose the areas your niche falls into. If you’re still figuring out what that is, Tumblr has a wide selection you can choose from.
3. Go to your email service provider and click on the activation link from Tumblr Support. But if you signed up via Google, it doesn’t require any activation.
4. Finalize your account! After creating your Tumblr account, your business can now post and re-blog other pages. Take some time to look at the ones in your niche to get a feel.
5. Customize your page! To do this, click on the “person” icon on the top right and find “Edit appearances” at the bottom. This will send you to the blog settings page.
6. This is where you can create your brand identity on Tumblr. Click the pencil icon to edit your account to make changes to your avatar, header image, description, background, and more.
Once you’re happy with the changes, save them and start posting!
Tumblr is a unique social media platform. The strategies that would work for Instagram or Twitter won’t necessarily translate well here. Instead, follow these tested and proven strategies:
Since Tumblr is like a mini blog site, you can use it as one! Just like traditional websites, Tumblr provides tons of options for customizing your blog to fit your brand image.
There are even free or paid themes you can choose from and the option to create your own. Brands that don’t have websites yet can even use Tumblr as a sort of “beta” site since it’s so easy to launch.
Trends happen across all social media sites. It’s a great way to find ideas or reach a wider audience. To find the trending page on Tumblr, go to the “explore” tab next to the home icon.
From there, click on the “trending” icon. Tumblr will show you a list of the top trending topics and also shows the trending blogs in the bottom right corner of the screen.
When in Tumblr, do as the community does. As mentioned earlier, Tumblr is a perfect platform for niche communities or fandoms. These fandoms contain a wide array of interests.
It can be everything from movies, shows, books, video games, fan fiction, and much more. But, what stands out most on Tumblr is authenticity.
People on Tumblr want to find something they can relate to. Find a way for your brand to market in a way that’s relatable to the niche it’s in. The best way to do this is by providing value.
There are three ways brands can use paid ads on Tumblr:
Like all social media platforms, Tumblr has its own fair share of pros and cons. The most prevalent being:
Every brand has its own unique needs. But for the majority of brands that want to use Tumblr for marketing, the platform offers the following benefits:
Tumblr is great for a specific set of things. But it falls short in the following:
Tumblr is a social media platform that makes up for its smaller user base with a more engaging demographic. If you want to market on Tumblr for your business, consider the following:
Want to integrate all your social media channels into one? Publer has you covered! Check out our 2023 Roadmap and explore some of our exciting updates for all your social media needs!
Subscribe to our newsletter, and we'll keep you up-to-date on our newest
game-changing features and special offers. Plus, you'll be the first to know
about the latest social media trends, tips, and tricks.