Twitter marketing can be quite complex when considering all social media platforms.
Given its short lifespan and the limited characters at your disposal, it can be more difficult to master it.
When planning your Twitter advertising strategy, it’s important to be well-equipped with the right statistics and knowledge to ensure your plan has every shot at success.
Today I am going to share with you the most important and interesting statistics that every marketer should know in 2022.
33 Essential Twitter Statistics in 2022
Since the first tweet was sent in 2006, Twitter, the microblogging and social networking platform, has achieved huge numbers and become a major player in social networking.
To ensure you’re always getting the most out of your marketing campaigns on the platform, take a look at the stats on Twitter’s audience, what makes up the network, and what advertisers can expect.
Twitter Statistics: Overview
First, you need to understand that Twitter is big, really big.
Since its creation in 2006, 1.3 billion accounts have been created. Here are some Twitter statistics that every marketer should know to understand its impact as a social network:
- 80% of users use their mobile phones to access Twitter
- 42% of users look at their accounts once a day
- There are 500 million tweets shared per day
- 500 million people visit the platform per month without logging in, 6,000 tweets every second
- The 😭 (crying) and 😂 (laughing) emojis have been used 2.3 billion times since 2013
This success comes from a simple idea: to allow users to find stories about the biggest news and events of the day, follow people and companies publishing content they like, or simply communicate with friends.
This makes Twitter a major social network for companies wanting to increase brand awareness and find new customers.
Twitter Statistics: Financial
Now that we have a clear overview of what Twitter is let’s turn our attention to the company’s financial side to understand its performance and revenue sources over the years.
- There are more than 7500 employees working for the company
- Twitter recorded a net profit only twice in 2018 and 2019
- Net profit in Q2 2022 was -$270M
- Twitter went public on November 7, 2013, with an IPO of 26$ per share
- Twitter had a market cap of $38.66B in October 2022
Although Twitter has become very popular and is listed on the stock exchange, the company is still struggling to generate net profits.
Indeed, the company needs a large base of users since the main revenue source is selling advertising services.
Twitter Statistics: Users and Demographics
Let`s dive into the users of Twitter! Who are they? What are they looking for on the platform? What are their motivations? What are the accounts they follow the most?
Here are some figures to get a better idea of Twitter users:
- There are 336 million active users per month worldwide
- The US has the largest number of users, with 76.9 M, which represents 26% of traffic to the Twitter website
- With 59 million users, Japan is the second country with the most Twitter users
- Twitter’s demographics are 62% male and 38% female
42% of US adults who use Twitter are under the age of 30
Let’s also look at the interests of Twitter users:
- The account with the most subscribers is Barack Obama’s with 130M, followed by Justin Bieber with 114M, and finally Katy Perry with 108M
- 65% of the top tweeters are women
- The most tweeted sport is Football
- 74% of Twitter users use it for entertainment
As you can see, Twitter is perfect for targeting Millennials as well as Generation Z. Also, consider providing entertaining content to increase engagement. Take a look at our article on Twitter trends to develop your marketing strategy.
Twitter Statistics: Revenue
Although the company is still struggling to generate profits, revenues continue to grow consistently and steadily.
- Twitter reached a peak in revenue of $1.56B in Q4 2021
- The annual income totals $5.08 B, an increase of 37% year over year
- More than 90% of Twitter’s revenue comes from Advertising; the rest is from Data Licensing
- Twitter’s advertising revenue increased 23% in Q1 of 2022 to a total of $1.11 billion.
Lastly, Twitter also tries to diversify its revenue sources. If the main part still comes from advertising, Twitter sells data licensing services that are essential to target consumers.
Twitter Statistics: Advertising & Marketing
As social media becomes integral to tying together your overall digital marketing strategy, it’s important to understand how Twitter can help you reach your goals.
Here are some facts:
- Tweets with images get 150% more retweets
- Tweets with hashtags result in 1065% increased engagement compared to a similar tweet without hashtags
- On average, exposure to Twitter Ads drive +153% incremental lift in a tweet conversation
- Twitter has the lowest CPC with $0.38 compared to other social media.
- With friendly service, 76% of consumers are willing to recommend the brand
Due to the effectiveness of the big players in social media, such as Facebook and Instagram, it’s easy to overlook Twitter as a real option. However, it won’t work for every industry, product, or brand. That’s why we advise you to read our article on the use of Twitter for B2B companies.
Take into account these key stats we’ve outlined today, and you understand your Twitter target audience. In that case, you are well on your way to planning an effective social media strategy, including Twitter.
- The platform has a rather young audience looking for entertainment
- It remains one of the social networks where the cost of advertising is the lowest, with good performance
Did you find these statistics helpful? Feel free to share your opinion in the comments below.