Instagram Business Account: Making The Switch
What started as a photo-sharing app in 2010 has become a business-friendly platform allowing brands to network and promote themselves. In such a virtually dynamic space like Instagram, businesses must know how to stand out.
One way is to get verified on Instagram. Another is to set up an Instagram Business Account. In this guide, we’ll share how an Instagram Business Account works and why it matters for your brand.
What is an Instagram Business account?
A business account is a public profile that contains lead generation tools and audience insights. It’s valuable for brands who want to better understand their target audience, increase engagement, and improve their business strategy.
Tracking important analytics allows brands to gain invaluable insights to help them fine-tune their approach and better connect with their audience.
What does a business account on Instagram do?
A business account contains tools and resources that can help your marketing strategy:
- Analytics and insights: help determine what content is most appealing to your audience so you can continue to produce content they enjoy.
- Instagram Ads: allows you to promote content, target specific user demographics, set an ad budget, and determine your ad spending.
- Contact Button: lets users contact you directly from your Instagram Business account. The “Public Business Information” section lets you display your contact number, email address, or location if you have a physical store.
- Quick Reply feature: allows you to quickly and efficiently respond to FAQs with template replies that can be sent automatically to customers.
- E-commerce feature: allows users to activate the Shop tab on their profile and use Instagram as a virtual shop.
- Auto-publish content: schedules your content in a timely manner.
- Swipe up feature for Instagram Stories: links to your website or any CTA. This feature becomes available when you gain 10,000 followers.
Is an Instagram Business account free?
Yes! You can set up your business account and get access to various features without spending a dime.
What are the benefits of an Instagram Business account?
Creating a business profile on Instagram gives you access to features that can help you promote and grow your business. Here are some of the perks of switching to a business profile:
- Monitor content performance
- Access advanced insights and analytics
- Identify your most engaged users
- Expand reach for your content
- Become highly searchable and reachable to followers
- Boost posts to specific target audiences and select a time period to run the ads
How To Switch To An Instagram Business Account
Switching from your personal to your business profile is quick and easy. Follow these simple steps to set up your business account:
- Open the Instagram app and select the Main Menu at the top right portion of your profile.
- Go to Settings and select Account.
- Go to Switch to a Business Account and tap Switch. Optional step: you can also connect your Facebook Business Page to make cross-posting content easier.
- Type in your contact information and tap Done.
If you want to switch back to your personal account, follow the same process but choose ‘Personal account’ when you get to ‘Switch to account type.’
How To Use An Instagram Business Account
Here are the ways you can use your new Instagram Business Account to its full potential.
Define Your Goals
Identify your business objectives so you can better assess how Instagram can help you achieve them. An effective method for doing this is using the SMART framework, which determines goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely.
Track The Right Metrics
Match up your goals with the social media metrics that matter most. The analytics and tools vary for each business, but keeping the customer journey in mind is key.
Here are some important metrics to track:
- Awareness: Follower growth rate, content impressions, and audience reach.
- Engagement: Likes, comments and total shares.
- Conversion: Click-through rate and bounce rate. For paid ads, you can also access cost-per-click and CPM.
- Customer: Audience behavior such as retention, and repeat customer rate, among others.
Create A Style Guide
A consistent look will make your profile appear more professional and encourage users to engage with your brand. Come up with a style guide that reflects your brand, and be consistent with it. Your guide should include a uniform color palette, standard post templates, and official font styles.
Create Epic Content
To make your brand come to life on Instagram, start by taking some great photos. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on fancy equipment or hire a professional photographer. All you need is your phone and some free editing apps.
Here are ways to get the best photos when shooting with your phone:
- Take advantage of the natural light. Natural light is essential for product photography. It creates softer images and more vibrant colors.
- Avoid shooting in broad daylight. Steer clear of harsh lighting by shooting in late afternoons or on cloudy days.
- Follow the rule of thirds. Most mobile phone cameras have built-in grid lines that you can use to balance your composition.
- Explore different angles. Experiment with your angles to see what interesting shots you can come up with.
- Create contrast. Contrast helps to make photos visually clear and simple by providing balance.
Schedule Your Posts
You can keep your brand in front of users and explore new audiences by posting consistently. Try different post ideas like user-generated content or giveaways.
Create a social media calendar and schedule your posts in advance with a reliable social media management tool like Publer to manage content.
Link in Bio
If you have fewer than 10,000 followers,try using a link in your bio, your latest article, or your current campaign in your bio can generate more organic clickable links for your brand. You can also schedule different links in your bio daily to maximize user engagement.
An Instagram Business account is excellent for helping you grow your brand and create content that drives conversions. Maximizing premium features allows you to turn Instagram into a powerful marketing tool for your business.
Having an Instagram Business account will allow you to:
- Access rich data and track performance.
- Curate content for your target and new audiences.
- Schedule your posts in a timely manner.
- Promote your posts and maximize your ad budget to the right audience.
How are you using Instagram to promote your business? Let us know in the comments below!